Spring, it’s the time of year for renewal… when the trees begin to get their leaves back and blooms begin to burst through the soil. It is also the perfect time to wipe away the dust and grime that winter left behind. A ritual many of us Americans participate in, spring cleaning has origins dating back to when homes were heated throughout the winter by fireplaces and wood burning stoves. When the days got longer, and the chill of old man winter finally began to fade, people were able to open the windows, air out the house and rid their home of the dust and soot. Nowadays, with luxuries like electric heat, the need for a big “spring clean” might not be as great but there’s something about spring that makes us want to start fresh. Here’s a few tips to consider when tackling your spring cleaning.
- De-clutter! I’m sure a handful of you binged Tidying Up With Marie Kondo this winter and already got a head start on decluttering your life, but for those of you still swimming in extra stuff, decluttering can make a huge difference. Start small, maybe organize your junk drawer OR eliminate the junk drawer altogether! Honestly, who needs to keep all those rubber bands, old pens and that tangled mess of cables that doesn’t serve a purpose?
- Kitchen Overhaul. When was the last time you really cleaned out your fridge or pantry? I’m sure there are plenty of outdated condiments, dressings and other items lurking in your kitchen. Clear your fridge & cabinets of outdated items and donate any unused items you don’t have plans for to your local food-bank. Those in Frederick can donate here.
- Don’t forget the filters! A home is only as clean as its air and if your HVAC filter is old and filthy that means the air you’re breathing is not ideal. A good air filter will help trap dust, pet dander and unwanted particles so you can breathe easy.
- Make a List. Spring cleaning is a marathon, not a sprint. Don’t try and get it all done in one day or weekend, pace yourself and plan your spring clean accordingly. Start with a list of all the things you want to accomplish then divide and conquer.
- Leave it to the Professionals. Not really into the whole spring cleaning thing or too busy to be bothered? Frederick has an endless supply of cleaning companies that can swoop in and do the deed for you! Here are just a few to check out: The Maids, The Cleaning Authority or Kidwell’s Kleaning.